Seeking an Occupational Driver's License

If you have had your driving privileges revoked or suspended because of a DWI arrest or conviction in Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Boerne or elsewhere, you may fear that you will lose your job because of your inability to drive to work. In most instances, you can obtain a special restricted license to drive, known as an occupational driver’s license, which allows you to drive a noncommercial motor vehicle for limited purposes, including employment, education, medical appointments or essential household responsibilities. An occupational driver’s license will not be automatically granted, however. You want an experienced lawyer to help petition the court and protect your interests.

At Danford Law Firm, PLLC, in Kerrville, we have more than 25 years of criminal law experience. A former prosecutor, attorney Harold J. Danford understands both sides of a DWI case and will use his knowledge and experience to put together the best case for your defense. He is the only DWI defense attorney in Texas who formerly served as Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety’s DWI/ALR program.

You Have Rights After a DWI Charge

In Texas, you have the right to request a restricted driver’s license (an occupational driver’s license or ODL) after a DWI, provided you have not been granted one in the last 10 years. The ODL will allow you to drive back and forth to work or school, or to complete other essential household tasks such as buying groceries. To obtain an ODL, you must demonstrate your need and provide the court with proof of insurance.

At Danford Law Firm, PLLC, we will handle all matters necessary to file your petition for an ODL. We will prepare and submit all documentation required by the court, identifying in detail the uses for which you need the license. We will carefully explain the law and legal process at all times, as well as your likelihood of success, so that you know what to expect.

Often, in order to qualify for an ODL, the judge will require that you enroll in alcohol dependence counseling or agree to have an ignition interlock on your car, which will prevent you from starting your vehicle if you have been drinking. We will work with you and make certain you understand the conditions under which the ODL is issued. It is part of our representation to help you understand what you must do to comply with these conditions.

Contact Us

Contact our office online or call us to schedule a meeting. We are available by cell phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We accept credit cards. Our DWI lawyers regularly fight for the rights of people in Kerrville, Boerne, Fredericksburg and surrounding areas.