What to Do After a Car Accident
The roads seem to get more dangerous every day with statistics from the Texas Department of Transportation (DOT) bearing this out. Drivers do not even wait until they see a stoplight to check their devices. This leads to distracted driving, and the increase in vehicle accidents has reached what some officials are calling epidemic proportions. According to the state’s DOT figures from 2016, Texas drivers average a crash every minute, a person is injured every two minutes and there is a fatality every two hours.
The first thing to do is to call 911 if you or someone else is injured in an accident. While seeking medical help is always a priority, it is also smart to contact a personal injury lawyer at Danford Law Firm, PLLC. We protect the rights of injury victims here in Kerrville, Kerr County and the surrounding area. We have more than 20 years of experience helping our clients with their legal issues, and we aggressively protect their rights either in a court of law or during negotiations with insurance companies.
Other Helpful Tips
After you speak with law enforcement officers, there are a number of other important things you can do that will help you in the long run. These include:
- Do not leave the accident scene: Safely pull your vehicle off to the side of the road if possible and remain there. Check on passengers and fellow drivers for injuries.
- Exchange information: Get the contact and insurance information from fellow drivers. Also, check for witnesses and get their contact information.
- Take pictures: Document the damage and the scene of the accident.
- Notify your insurance company: Tell them all the details of your accident.
- Contact a lawyer: While the other drivers’ insurance carriers would prefer it if you made a statement, be polite but decline because it is often in your best interests to speak with an attorney first. The sooner this happens, the better the chance for success.